Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

John 15.... What is a true Christian? How do you know for sure you indeed are a Christian?


2 questions up there...but the answer to each validates the other and answers the other. V.3 tells us of the grace introduction into salvation when Jesus said we are, “clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.”  Insert into this, “the word/message that you savingly believed.” Ok, so salvation by grace is preserved and intact. But now let’s answer q.#1: what is a true Christian? It’s all explained in this chapter, the one that abides in the vine. Christ of course being that vine.


If someone abides in the vine there are 2 clear results: fruitfulness, obedience and joy. Ok, I guess there are three. Abiding in that vine guarantees fruitfulness according to Jesus in v. 5, “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from me you can do nothing.” The other guarantee comes at the end and in the verse preceeding this one... “apart from me you can do nothing” & “the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in me”. Pretty straight up. We better make it our first priority to abide in Christ.


So exactly how does one abide in this fruit-producing vine (really an incredibly great privilege when you think about it)... obedience. V.10 instructs, “if you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love; just as I have kept my father’s commandments, and abide in His love.” Since our salvation question is settled early on in this passage, saved by grace/forgiveness, then this obedience, which results in the extrordinary favor of abiding in the vine of the creator of the universe musts be what has been described as on-going sanctification. But there is way more than just a dutiful path in obedience leading to fruitfulness. And that is what is surprisingly uncovered v.11; and that is JOY.


Jesus tells his disciples & us that everything he has just said has as its outcome...joy. And not just any joy, it’s joy that is full and complete, “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy many be in you and that your joy may be made full.”  I personally don’t think I’ve ever found any earthly thing that could provide a joy that qualifies as perfect and complete. That doesn’t mean this has stopped me from trying. I find myself looking for joy in purchases, but the clothes  just get stains on them or go out of style. The electronic stuff eventually stops working (and I never bother to get the extended warranty because by then I’m bored with it anyway). Athletic achievement is so fleeting, usually other more gifted athletes come around and quickly deflate my “legend in my own mind” fantasy. On and on it goes. Why don’t I just abide in the vine, bear much fruit and in so doing glorify the Father and Jesus...and have great joy?



Finally, another incredible promise in this chapter. In verse 9 we’re told, “just as the father has loved me, I have also loved you; abide in my love.
”  After reading this for the “I don’t how many times”, time, I find myself wondering, “why hasn’t this radically changed my life?”  I can’t even imagine how much love the Father has for the Son within the Trinity. But Jesus makes it magnificently clear that He loves us just that much. Huh? Did you hear that? The same love the Father has for His Son-Jesus, Jesus Himself loves us! No wonder Jesus said that all these promises result in our joy being made full. So it is love that unites Christians to Christ, just as branches are connected to a vine. Two results flow from this union, obedience and joy. Obedience leads to fruitfulness and joy is the ultimate result as we see God working in our lives and using us in His kingdom.



So how about our 2 questions up at the top. What is a true Christian? How do you know that you are a Christian? Perhaps these 3 things:
    1 you are abiding in Christ. Seeking this via the path of obedience
    2 as you abide, you become fruitful for God’s kingdom
    3 as a result of these you have great joy!


 I don’t know about you, but I want to pursue this with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment